Friday, September 12, 2008

Must Haves for Artisan Breads

So, according to all the research I've been doing, I'm all set to make my first loaf of artisan bread. Why? Because I've collected the following *must have* items and my excitement is well proofed!

Must haves:
*mixing bowls
*baking parchment paper
*bread flour (I purchased high-gluten flour from St. Honore bakery in Portland, OR)
*rubber spatula
*spray oil
*instant-read (probe) thermometer
*scaled (measured) ingredients (thus, a digital scale, accurate to .25 ounce, is a MUST!)
*sheet pans
*metal pastry scraper
*instant yeast (SAF-Instant comes highly recommended)
*proofing couche (thick cloth that helps loaves to keep shape)
*lame (scoring blade for top of loaves)
*baking stone
*metal peel

Let's see....what else?

BUTTER! Lots and lots of butter! And maybe a nice soup.   ;-)

No comments: