Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Less Than Stellar With Red Velvet

So, to be frank, today's kitchen experience SUCKED. All five hours of it.

All my baking partner, Amanda, and I had to do was whip up a red velvet cake batter, a yellow cake batter (using liquid shortening. Ewwwwww!), and a big bowl of buttercream icing (3 lbs. butter! 3 lbs. shortening! 7 lbs. powdered sugar! 2 c. heavy cream!).

We ran into problems from the get-go:

1) There was no buttermilk for the red velvet cake batter .... so we substituted heavy cream, per Chef's directive.

2) The three 10" pans of red velvet cake baked lopsided.

3) That damn gooey red food coloring made cleanup a royal PAIN!!! (I even had to soak my chef coat in dishwasher machine detergent when I got home.)

4) Chef told us that we used the wrong mixer for the yellow cake batter (I'm still foggy as to why one mattered over the other - but I better get that fact straight ASAP, as we're to make another batch of batter on Thursday!).

5) The two 10" pans of yellow cake also baked lopsided as well. (Note to self: double check that oven shelves are level!)

Hmmm....perhaps the sloping surfaces were simply mirroring our frazzled nerves?? 

Turf skirmishes over available ovens and equipment, between the second-year culinary students and us lowly first-semester baking students, took all the fun right out of the day. 

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG, PEOPLE?  ;-)

Yeah, baby, yeah.

2 comments:

The Messy Baker said...

I'm intrigued with your post. I, too, had issues with a Red Velvet Cake. While my results were embarrassingly ugly, they were extremely delicious.

Keep baking!

Sheri Ann said...

HA! I know presentation counts for so much, but "extremely delicious" items need to be cut some slack!

I want to try the recipe that replaces the food coloring with beets!

Sheri