Wednesday, August 27, 2008

AHA! So Pie Is All About Technique!


I knew there had to be some scientific reasons for my inability to produce a flaky, tasty, attractive pie crust. Turns out I've been attacking the task all wrong! 

My biggest offense? According to Sarah Phillips, author of Baking 9-1-1: Rescue from Recipe Disasters, it's because I've dusted the hell out of the dough with extra flour. Well, how else was I going to peel the darn crust off my kitchen counter?! (Answer: parchment paper!)

Another big no-no: not keeping the dough chilly enough. As Sarah says, "FOR FLAKY AND TENDER PIE CRUST, THINK COLD!" Who knew pie crusts shrink because the rubber band-like strands of gluten contract after being stretched unless refrigerated? Not this wanna-be baker! (I didn't know what gluten was either, if I'm to be completely honest.)

Sarah suggests popping the dough into the fridge for 12-24 hours (or at least an hour if you're as patience-challenged as I am), and to keep returning it to the fridge if needed as you go along. And only touch the dough with your fingertips, the coolest part of your hands.

Sigh. At the moment I'm trying to be like that little engine that strained to get up the mountain side. "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!" 

I WILL have my pie and eat it too!

*check out Sarah's website, lots of good baking tips/info

No comments: