Friday, October 3, 2008

It's Time To Get Serious

Professionalism requires commitment and strength of character.

I see a lot of unprofessionalism in my classroom environment, which surprises me. I mean, I figure if persons are in school, they have a desire to make something of their lives. 

So when I see goofing off, cheating, slacking, and apathy, I don't get it. And I get downright annoyed at today's young crowd displaying such a well-defined sense of entitlement. As far as I can tell, they haven't earned it. Me thinks the hubby is right: Every kid in America should be required to serve a stint in the Peace Corps or the military, to develop discipline and gratefulness for just how good they have it.

With the possibility of my own bake shop looming ahead of me, I'm starting to get worried that I'll find employees who can meet my standards. Out of my classmates, there are only two that I'd currently hire. Hmmm....maybe I'll end up a modern-day Sweeney Todd: to rid myself of bad employees, I'll serve them up.  ;-)

Anyway, here's my definition of the word "professional":

P = prepared -- you put in the prep time so you're prepared for class

R = ready to work -- you "hit the ground running," leaving excuses at the door

O = on time -- you're punctual and deadline-driven

F = focused -- you save the gossip and water-cooler chatter for your private hours

E = excited -- you choose to be happy to be here, knowing that you're helping to set the tone of the environment

S = strong -- you're dependable, honest, and know what you stand for and believe in

S = standards -- you set the highest possible standards for yourself, even if no one around you gives a damn

I = intuition -- you use your brain, not routinely wait passively for direction

O = open to instruction -- you accept constructive feedback, knowing it's key to personal growth

N = noble -- you bring a high moral character to every situation, so you don't slip at temptation

A = adaptable -- you "roll with the punches" without having a cow

L = look for opportunities to help others. Because we're all in this together, right?