Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Bagels Rocked!

I've been meaning to whip up a batch of bagels for several weeks now. This weekend I finally got around to it. YUM!

A good bagel is hard to find -- most lack that wonderful chewiness that only a boiled bagel produces. So I'm happy to report that my batch were nice and chewy AND they toasted up wonderfully. There's something about a bagel slathered in melted butter to make your day perk up. Even better, the hubby paid me the highest compliment: he ate THREE that day (quite a gift, as he tends to avoid carbs like the plague! HA!).

Anyhoo, from the recipe in Peter Reinhart's book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, here are the steps I used to make my bagels:

Day One
Because Reinhart is a big fan of extended retarding in the fridge, this recipe takes two days. The first step, obviously, is making the sponge. So I mixed 4 cups high-gluten flour, 1 tsp. yeast, and 2.5 cups of water together, then let that ferment on the counter for a while. Reinhart says the sponge needs 2 hours to get "foamy and bubbly," but my batch took almost 4 hours.



When the sponge was finally ready to use, I added another 1.5 tsp. yeast to it, then another 3 cups of flour and 2.75 tsp. salt. I tried using my mixer to incorporate the flour, but the dough became so stiff that I eventually had to take it out and finish mixing it by hand. Once I got the rest of the dry flour mixed in, I kneaded the stiff dough on the counter for 10 minutes, until the dough was, as Reinhart says, "satiny and pliable but not tacky."



Then I quickly divided the dough into 4.5-oz pieces, using my digital scale. Note: The bagels turned out quite large, so in the future I would reduce this to 3.5-oz pieces.



Now the real fun began! I rolled the scaled dough out into tubes. I covered them with damp paper towels and let them rest for 20 minutes on the counter. While they rested, I lined 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly misted the paper with cooking spray.



After the dough strips rested, I rolled them out a bit more, then wrapped each strip around my hand, overlapping the dough by several inches. I sealed the edges by pressing the overlapped area onto the counter as I rocked my hand back and forth.



After shaping each bagel, I placed it on the prepared baking sheet. When all the bagels were shaped, I misted them with cooking oil, wrapped them loosely in plastic wrap and let them rest another 20 minutes. (There's a lot of napping in baking!)



To see if the bagels were ready for their overnight retarding in the fridge, I put one to the "float test." Reinhart says the dough must float within 10 seconds or it needs more nap-time. My bagel floated right away, so I put both pans in the fridge.



Day Two
After my 5-hour baking class, I came home tired, but hungry. So I decided to get to those bagels. I cranked the oven up to 500 degrees, and set a large pot of water to boil, adding baking soda to the water. Here are my plump, retarded bagels about to take their dip in the hot tub. ;-)



I boiled the bagels about two minutes on each side, then placed them back on their pans. While they boiled, I sprinkled the pans with cornmeal, to make sure they didn't stick during baking. After taking each out of their bath boil, I topped the bagels with sea salt and seeds.



Here are my finished bagels. They only take about 10 minutes to bake!

2 comments:

Dayna said...

Thanks for your post with such good photos. I just made bagels for the first time this weekend thanks to your inspiration. You can read about it on my blog:

http://phoneticallyspeaking.blogspot.com/2008/11/football-food-face-off-week-9.html

Sheri Ann said...

Great blog, Dayna!!

Aren't homemade bagels yummy? The smell alone got me .... okay, so did all the little pizzas the hubby made from them!

Keep baking!

Sheri