Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Some Books That Explain "WHY??"

Hey there, Dear Baker --

If you're like me, you're really wanting to know WHY and HOW various baking items -- from raw eggs to baking soda -- do their magic in the kitchen. Even better, you'd like to be able to look at a recipe and just "know" if it's going to work.

To that end, I've got some book recommendations for you! I stumbled upon them while doing research for a children's baking book I'm writing.

Read and digest them and you'll soon be a whiz on the "science" of baking. 





How to Read a French Fry: And Other Stories of Intriguing Kitchen Science -- by Russ Parsons



On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen -- by Harold McGee
Enjoy!



3 comments:

Dayna said...

ohh - you recommended two of my favorites! That means I need to check out the other two - based on your good taste :)

When I say your post I was hoping On Food and What Einstein Told...would be on their - and they were!!

I love On Food and Cooking and look to it often while trying new recipes.

I don't know what age range your proposed book is for...but I know some kiddos who love to try out things in the kitchen :)

Deeba PAB said...

What a cool list...& new books are always welcome. My kids are always looking out to help me in the kitchen when I bake! Good luck with your book!

Sheri Ann said...

Thanks, ladies!