Friday, December 5, 2008

Class Gingerbread Houses

Yeah, baby, my camera is fixed! 

So here's a visual treat: a sampling of the gingerbread houses created by students in my baking class. Just so you know, the class assignment proved two things. One: that I have next to no artistic skill. And two: some of the peeps in my class are so creative it's sickening. 

((I've been trying to figure out why God didn't grace me with more artistic talent. Here's what I've decided: Back when God made me, He asked, "Who wants to make art?" Unfortunately, I heard "Who wants to fart?" and I cried, "Not me! No way!"))

But I digress.....

First up: Christmas Hawaii-style by Amber Rose
Love it! All that's missing is an accompanying recording of Elvis crooning about being blue at Christmas.  ;-)



Some close up shots of Amber's detail work:





Next up: the masterpiece by Rami, based on The Nightmare Before Christmas
Rami's handwork is exceptional. Everyone was in awe of her natural skill and passion. (Rami was overheard to say, "I would love to sit and do this aaaallllll day!!!!")



Some close up shots. Notice the back of her house: Rami electrified it!!




And here is my friend Ali's sweet little country house.
I can totally picture her living here -- surrounded by her organic gardens.  ;-)



And here is Amanda's impressive municipal building.



And Jordan's yummy "mint" house.
I soooo wanted to lick this one! (Maybe I did!)


And Grace's (aka "Star Girl") impish elf house.
There's a ton of interior detailing, including furniture. 
(Yup, that's what makes Gracie a true "Star Girl"!)







And finally, my little house. 
The only thing spectacular about my house is the roof (which I made from colored marzipan and white gum paste). My gnome (also made from marzipan), is pretty darn cute, too, but I didn't use him because someone broke off his arm and leg. BY ACCIDENT, I AM SO SURE! HA!





**Chef entered the houses created by Grace, Rami, and Ali into the gingerbread competition/auction at Gilda's House of Western New York. Grace took THIRD PLACE in the Student category! I wonder how much moolah her house will bring in for Gilda's!

No comments: